Wednesday, January 9, 2013

{BRONZE} Metallic Cake Pops!

I've been trying some new techniques in the kitchen and wanted to share because I'm SUPER excited with the results!

I'm calling this line THE PRECIOUS METAL COLLECTION :)
I plan on adding MANY more shades as time allows. For now...meet BRONZE!


This process of experimentation came about because I wanted to create Metallic Cake Pops for my daughter's upcoming birthday party. I happened upon fellow popper, Cakepops by Jennie, and was inspired by her work! I immediately reached out to her for help.



Let me take a moment to say, one of my absolute FAVORITE things about being a Cake Popper is the amazing support and encouragement I get (and give) in the Cake Pop Community. Most of my fellow poppers are OVERLY generous with their help and I myself field technical questions daily.

Jennie though...she's in a class all her own! She was BEYOND helpful...she was amazing. She walked me through her step-by-step trials and I've had fun playing around with the basic method myself.



Those of you interested in the process...here is what I did (with Jennie's guidance!)

-hand painted each dipped Cake Pop with Bronze Luster Dust (mix the Luster with Vodka to be able to paint with it); I did probably 3 coats per pop, be sure to let them dry completely between coats.
-After the Luster coats were dry, I hand painted each pop with a coat of Confectioner's Glaze, this is where the SHINE comes from!
-I added a tiny amount of Disco Dust to the Confectioner's Glaze, on some of the Pops.


The hand painting does lead to some splotchiness and you can (in some cases) see the brush strokes somewhat. This could be cleared-up by adding additional coats of luster...or...if you have an airbrush machine I think that would work wonderfully for the luster AND the confectioner's glaze application. I haven't tried it though...so I can't vouch for that one. Personally, I think the hand painting method gives the pops a more realistic "raw" metal look.

Really...I'm still in the experimental stage with these...so I'm sure that I'll continue to modify this basic process.

If any of you try these....or if have your own technique for creating Metallic Cake Pops PLEASE include a link in the comments below...I'm always learning and would love to see!

Happy Poppin'!
Audrey

5 comments:

  1. when you say "confectioner's glaze" what do you mean? Does it dry so its not sticky? these are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The product is actually called "Confectioner's Glaze"...you can find it on amazon if you don't have a local cake decorating supplier (I'm not that lucky!) It completely dries...so the pops still look "wet"...but they're totally set! It's awesome! I've even used it to add shine to some marbled pops and solid color pops too...SO many uses!

      Delete
  2. How could I replace the vodka?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disco dust is plastic craft glitter. It is not edible and should never be applied to food that will be eaten. Doesn't matter that it's non toxic, it's still not to be consumed.

    Edible glitter made from gum arabic, gelatin, or sanding sugar should be used on foods.

    ReplyDelete