Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Our Library: Raingutter Bookshelves!

Obviously this isn't a treat-related post...but it's still SUPER SWEET! I received SO many comments and inquiries in response to the picture I posted of our kiddos' library on my FB page, that I felt I really should dedicate a full post to the subject ;)

We finished our basement this past spring and resolved to make a big part of the open area a playroom. I've been dreaming of reclaiming my livingroom for about 3 years now...so I was BEYOND excited when the space was finally finished!

I wanted to have a fun way to organize the kids' toys and make it extra special for them too! One of the first things to accomplish was figuring out a fun way to display their books. I'm a bit of a book fiend and buy them ALL the time...we've also had library-growing parties (where all the guests bring a gift-book) for each of the kiddos' 1st Birthday Parties...so needless to say, we have books coming out the WAZOO here ;)



I really loved the idea of shelving that allows the covers of the books to be visible. The idea is, if the kids see the covers they're more likely to pick one (or 10) off the shelf and take a look. So that's how I happened upon the Raingutter Bookshelves in the first place! There is a GREAT (as-in super informative and easy to follow) tutorial over at Raising Olives! That's what we used for our library wall reference.



I did have to spend a little time convincing my hubby that raingutters mounted to our wall would look nice...and not "hillbilly" as he kept implying....and that he should just trust my vision...in the end even he came around...which was good since he had to do the actual "work" involved ;)



Once the shelves were installed we finished the look with a custom vinyl wall quote from It's Written on the Wall! It TOTALLY took our library into over-the-top-cute territory. BONUS: the quote we used has been added to their Etsy shop so, if you're so inclined, you can snag one yourself! 


Check out the post It's Written on the Wall devoted to Raingutter Bookshelves for more inspiration photos!

I'm IN-LOVE with this one from Home Stories A2Z! I already had plans to add some more of these shelves to the kids' bedrooms and now I know exactly how I want to proceed!

DSCN5393

fun...if any of you attempt these and want to post your photos on my Sweet Cheeks Tasty Treats FB page please DO! I'd love to see what you all come up with ;)

28 comments:

  1. Hi I came from Ladybug Blessings; I heard about rain gutter book shelves but never actually seen one. They look very nice and there is a lot of space for a lot of books. I love the writing on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Never heard f raingutter bookshelves before now, but they are ingenious! Hope you'll link it and any other kid or teen related posts that you have to our "Crafts for Under Twenty Somethings" party tomorrow!


    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great! As a teacher, I am thinking if I can get away with adding these to the classroom walls.
    ~jan at The Paisley Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely adorable!!! What a great idea! I'm going to have to see if I can find some out by the curb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very cool! I have seen the rain gutter shelves before, and would love to put some up in our school room. YES....I would LOVE to have myself one of those vinyl saying for my wall!!! Thanks for sharing the inspiration photos as well, I will be sure to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fabulous idea. Rain gutters for bookshelves? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of those are just adorable. I love how the one goes 'round the corner.

    Thank you for the link love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of rain gutter bookshelves! Love it! Yours look great. What a neat idea. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How adorable! And they don't look hillbilly at all--completely classy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, I love ll the books and how you incorporated them into the bedroom! We have the hungry caterpillar book too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your room with the shelves of books all around come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com and see what I shared

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a brilliant idea!!! So clever and it looks great. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your library looks great! I love having the books face outwards and the vinyl quote is perfect! IF you get a chance, I would love for you to share this at my party, The Creative Spark. Have a great week!
    Jenn :)
    www.cleanandscentsible.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO CUTE!! I just saw this from under the table and dreaming. Great job. The books become the wall art. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing! I could only dream of having bookshelves like this! Looks beautiful!

    I would love to have you share this at my link party, Show & Share--

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! what a clever way to have kids attached to go read. It is always nice when you can provide educational toys for kids
    so that they are learning and having fun at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My friends just put these up in her playroom and they look SO cute! I am SO doing this asap in our playroom!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this idea but my husband is saying the sheet metal wouldn't be safe something about shavings or edges possibly being sharp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...metal gutters wouldn't be safe! We used the gutters that are made out of plastic...I think it's a PVC material.

      Delete
  19. Aww, we love his reading corner! We hope our son will enjoy the DIY rain gutter bookshelves we made him in the nursery just as much! You're right, it's a PVC (polyvinyl chloride) plastic material. Otherwise it wouldn't be strong enough to flex and maintain it's structure :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely adorable!!! What a great idea! I'm going to have to see if I can find some out by the curb! RV Roof Repair

    ReplyDelete
  21. Using rain gutters as bookshelves is, indeed, a fun way to display the kids' books and encourage them to read. It's fun to see that your kids love it. Just be watchful over them though. With your rain gutter bookshelves attached that high, your kids might think of climbing it up to get to their books. We know that can be dangerous, so I hope you'd look into that.
    Micha @ Ohio Exteriors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shelves have been installed for almost 2 and a half years now...with no climbing issues :)
      My kiddos just ask for us to reach the books on the top shelves.
      These wouldn't support their weight if they did attempt to climb them, they would pull right out from the wall.

      Delete
  22. Aww. Aren't these cute? I'm sure your kids are excited to read books off of your rain gutter bookshelves! I particularly liked how you had them placed over the headboards of the kids' beds as it will encourage them to read before going to sleep. And good thinking using PVC gutter instead of the metal ones. But in case others consider metal gutter instead of PVC's, it would be wise to childproof those gutter shelves just to be safe.

    Ronnie Cain

    ReplyDelete
  23. What did you use to attach the gutters to the wall so they would be sturdy and not come out of the wall ?

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's cool and super idea to use rain gutters on room wall or in library for holding books.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I got to be happy to be here. This post has roused me. Much obliged for composing this post and making me all the more firm.table et chaise

    ReplyDelete